When I moved in, the apartment had been gutted and freshly renovated with new flooring, ceilings, paint, cabinets – the works. The bathroom was the only thing that remained as it was before – I guess it had been renovated a few years ago.  I like the white subway tile and the neutral while floor and vanity scheme, but it was still sort of gross from the last tenant.  The grout was dirty and water stained and an all-white bathroom is tough to keep looking pristine as it is.  Since it is a rental, I had to make some temporary changes to improve the room.  I had always wanted a black room (I swear sometimes I would paint every room dark grey or black if I could) – so I decided a bathroom would be an excellent place to start.

This is what the bathroom looked like when I started scrubbing the grout with some scrubbing bubbles:

When I went to the hardware store, I was looking for a shade of black that was black, but sort of muted so it did not look too harsh.  Lucky for me, Valspar had a shade called “muted ebony”.  Perfect!  I got it in the “premium” so that hopefully one coat would look good and maybe the steamy bathroom wouldn’t affect it too much.  No amount of scrubbing would save the grout, so I decided to coat the grout with Tile Guard Tile Grout Coating in pure white.  I had used this product before – some people complained online that it was gummy and collected dust – the key for me is to do it in several thin layers (yes, time consuming!) and let it dry thoroughly, and then coat it with some spray grout sealer.  The base of the tub and toilet were lacking caulk as well, so i added a fresh strip of caulk to those to help it look finished.

This was the final product:

I still need this room to be finished, but maybe it never will be.  I did these changed many months ago, and there have been issues with the paint.  I do not know if it is the hard water in our city or the paint finish (it is satin), but there are definitely some calcium-looking stains on the walls that I cannot get off.  I tried regular multi-surface cleaner and CLR, but to no avail.  A recoat and some sort of topcoat may be necessary?  Not sure.  The grout will need some re-sealing in spots as well.  I admit that the zero ventilation in the room made me chicken out with the grout sealer – I did a bit but did not get it as thoroughly coated as I should have!

I still love the results and will definitely paint a room or rooms black in the future.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s